Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

In article <a817bcca-2a4e-3808-2b48-9f1ea9cbe7d0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>On 11/13/20 1:01 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>> rsync is not nearly as widely supported as FTP.   And while rsync works
>>> okay for mirroring, I've never seen it used for remote file access.
>> This makes no sense. What computers do you believe that people use in
>> 2020 that support FTP but not rsync? And if that were true, why do we
>> see orders of magnitude more rsync traffic than FTP?
>
>1. rsync is not good for file access

I suppose there is a definition of file access for which that might
still be true. I use rsync every night to mirror the rfc and i-d
archives on my laptop. Works great. It is not 1995 any more and nobody
sensible mounts a remote directory for one at a time retrieval of
small files over a WAN.

>2. traffic volume is not an indicator of importance.

At some point of course it is. We're talking about 1/5000th of the
traffic here, with strong hints that a lot of that trickle could
easily switch to other paths.

R's,
John