Re: HTML email

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 10:43 AM Timothy Mcsweeney <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well it looks like all my previous emails are in markup.  I guess I will have to reload every single email in its text version.

When Nathaniel Borenstein originally proposed MIME, he tried to persuade people to adopt a rich text markup. That failed and he was criticized for it, but he was right.

HTML/2.0 would have been an excellent basis for rich text markup. It provides essentially the same capabilities Nathaniel proposed which are similar to those supported by Gmail and Medium and Markdown.

Today's HTML is not a structured markup. It has been turned into a presentation markup, not a structured markup. And it really doesn't work at all well. Responding to messages in the wrong client can result in ludicrously tiny or huge text.