Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

Vernon Schryver <vjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>
>
>> But I, at least, am thinking in terms of an implementation where we
>> notify the SMTP-sending-server during the SMTP session, with a message
>> including a URL for more information. IMHO, this would tend to converge
>> to a situation where end-users understood the issue -- and learned to
>> route around it. ;^)
>
> Where is the business of the main IETF mailing list in that suggestion?

   That statement -- outlining my personal thinking -- was intended to
solicit consensus on Iljitsch's principle from Dave Crocker and/or
those who think like him. (I know most people have given up on ever
finding consensus from Dave, but I'm a slow learner...)

> It is already a de facto standard.

   (Most people, when they say "de facto standard", mean something already
done by a strong majority. But, of course, that's not what the words
mean, so I won't argue your usage.)

   I'm frankly not concerned whether that practice is endorsed as a
standard.

> Many and probably most well run SMTP servers include an appropriate
> message in their 5yz rejection messages when spam detection is the
> issue.  Today an appropriate message is often a URL.

   Agreed. Enough people are doing it that the idea will surely spread.
Even the dinosaurs (cable companies and incumbent phone companies) will
catch on eventually.

> There are details that could be officially standardized such as formats
> that MUAs could more easily recognize and present to end users.  The
> bounces generated by the near-end MTA after a failed SMTP session are
> incomprehensible to many people.  Some MTAs (e.g. Hotmail's when I last
> checked) include random text in their session transcripts apparently
> drawn from random SMTP sessions during that last several hours.

   All items which I'd be happy to see discussed in MARID.

> However, this sort of standardization seems more appropriate for some
> SMTP WG or the ASRG than here.

   There is no MARID mailing-list yet, so we're stuck here for a few
more days. (ASRG is not an IETF group.) In the meantime, I'm trying to
solicit consensus -- no matter how "rough" -- on principles of spam
abatement, not details of its implementation.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>