Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

+1

And, while I suspect my scripts are less complicated than
Scott's, I do have them and am dependent on them.   So two
additional thoughts:

(i) I know the conventional wisdom in the IETF is to obsolete
HTTP in favor of HTTPS.  However, if conversation is necessary,
conversion from FTP to simple, no negotiation HTTP is likely to
be lots easier the conversation to HTTPS, certificate handling,
etc.  So, while the report seems to circle around this a bit, if
FTP is discontinued, will we be assured that plain HTTP access
will be available long-term rather than those who do convert
waking up one day and discovering that HTTP is being
discontinued because HTTPS is more virtuous?

(ii) Can we start evaluating these changes, not just in terms of
extra facilities that have to be maintained (and I agree with
Scott that, once the machinery is set up, the marginal costs of
maintaining FTP should be, well, marginal) but in terms of costs
to the community of discussing and making the conversion.
Except for those who actually have unlimited time or would not
be contributing to the IETF's technical work anyway and In
addition to the time taken up creating plans and reports like
this, please assume that every minute taking up considering a
plan like this, converting scripts (or even old habits), etc.,
is a minute that IETF technical, standards-producing, work isn't
getting done.  Is it worth it for this case (or any particular
other one that might arise next)?

     john

--On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 06:55 -0500 "Scott O. Bradner"