Re: Quantum computing practically impossible

The charter for QIRG is talking about using quantum communication channels. The paper is talking about Shorr's work on error correction which is relevant to quantum cryptanalysis, an entirely different topic.

It is my understanding of the work on Quantum error correction that it is correcting errors in the measurement of quantum states rather than trying to compensate for decoherence so the base assumption of the paper seems to be off.

There are good reasons to build quantum computers, cryptanalysis ain't one of them. Not unless we can get a scalable approach like trapped ion to work. Building bigger and colder fridges is obviously a dead end. I really don't feel PKI as we know it is threatened at this point, but it is obviously something we need to keep a very watchful eye on because deploying new PKI systems has a twenty year time frame.

This is basic research and there is much from the Internet that may help inform that work. But it is still basic research.