Re: Call for Community Feedback: Guidance on Reporting Protocol Vulnerabilities

I hope I am missing something.
I have trouble thinking of a case where a security vulnerability in our work could be reasoanbly captured in an erratta that is anything other than "held for future update".

The errata system is not an issue tracker for RFCs. Accepted errata are not supposed to be changes to the WG agreement, even if the WG got it wrong. They are supposed to be cases where the words on the page do not say what the WG meant. this can be a missing (or added "not", or verbiage so opaque that anyone not in the room can't figure out what it means (although most of the time the RPC catches those before RFC publication.)

it is not for the cases where the WG agreed on a protocol that has a security hole, bug, or potential misbehavior.

Heck, in the case of 8200 I have to agree with the AD that an errata was not the way to fix ambiguous wording that the WG agreed on, even when folks later came up with an interpretation that had not been considered by the WG. Errata simply are not for things that change existing WG agreements.

Yours,
Joel