Re: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ?

References to RFC text should be in terms of section numbers rather than page numbers.   However, that the current RFC page formatting (for PDF RFCs) isn't well designed for reading on paper, because page footers don't include section numbers.   Without such footers, it's harder to flip pages looking for the desired section.    So I would welcome changes to the RFC footers of paginated RFCs to include section numbers.

Section numbers aren't sufficient, however, if one needs to reorder pages from a printed RFC, because a section may span multiple pages.  So there is still a need for page numbers in paginated RFCs.

Also, not all sections in recent RFCs are numbered, and this is a problem if one wishes to reference an unnumbered section.   I suspect the fix here is to explicitly number/label every section, even Acknowledgments, appendices, etc.

One problem with having page numbers is that different paginated renderings of the same RFC will likely result in different pagination.   But if there's only one paginated rendering of any RFC, as seems to be the case for newer RFCs at least, this is not a problem.

The currently official "plain text" RFCs are not paginated, but the PDF versions are paginated with page numbers.     This seems like a good compromise (even if it breaks some old scripts), because Windows systems have historically been too broken to properly print paginated plain text with formfeeds anyway, and because one of the uses of plain text RFCs has always been for automated free-text searching in which page breaks are a nuisance.

I would like it if HTML versions of RFCs were paginated when printed (with footers containing section numbers and page numbers, and with those page breaks and numbers aligned with other paginated versions of the same RFC.)    But I recognize that this would require significant tooling effort, and could occasionally produce very unsatisfactory results despite that effort.   It seems like the PDF version is sufficient for printing purposes, though it is not as easily found from the HTML version as it might be.   Adding a link to the PDF version at the top of the HTML version would IMO be a good idea.

Keith