Re: COI questions for Consultation on proposed IETF LLC Community Engagement Policy

On 12 Oct 2020, at 19:00, Jay Daley wrote:

2. RFC 8711 is clear about the role of the LLC that "It has no authority over the standards development activities of the IETF", which is taken to mean that there should be a bright line between the work of the LLC and the standards process.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jay, but this sounds to me like the LLC (board and ED) are trying to come up with a policy that instantiates the first paragraph of section 4.3 of RFC 8711:

4.3.  General IETF LLC Responsibilities

   The IETF LLC is established to provide administrative support to the
   IETF.  It has no authority over the standards development activities
   of the IETF.

and is trying to enumerate what it needs to do (or, more likely, needs not to do) to avoid running afoul of having "authority of the standards development activities".

I have always taken that admonition to mean that when the LLC engages in its enumerated responsibilities (Operations, Finances, Fundraising, and Compliance), none of those activities take precedence over the RFC 2026 processes without amendment of those processes by the IETF community through normal rough consensus means. So, obviously the LLC may not say to the IESG, "Company X has been a generous sponsor, and therefore you should approve a document that Company X favors." That would be pretty egregious. But it's also not OK for the LLC to decide, "We think document review and determination of consensus would go much better with this cool new voting tool, which we've decided to deploy." The LLC must not (as the LLC) drive a change in the consensus determination process by introducing or requiring a new tool; the process change must be driven from the IETF community and a new tool or functionality requested from there through the IESG.[1]

Perhaps others have suggestions for how the LLC ought write down this limitation in the form of a policy, should the LLC feel that it needs one for itself. But overall, this seems based on a misunderstanding (or perhaps over-interpretation) of that line in 8711. I think it is important for the LLC to be clear about what that line means and to execute accordingly, but the policy as presented doesn't get it right.

pr

[1] As others have said, none of this requires that LLC board members or employees should not participate as individuals, just as employees of big donor Company X above do; they just all must go in with the understanding that they participate as individuals and make clear their potentials COIs if they choose to do so. As others have said, their input will be judged on the merits.

--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best