Re: Consultation on proposed IETF LLC Community Engagement Policy

On 13/10/2020, at 11:45 AM, Adrian Farrel <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jay,

Many thanks for bringing this proposed policy for consultation.

I think it might have helped if the section "Purpose of this Policy" had
included a little "why" as well as the "what". That is, reading that short
section it is clear to me what the policy does, but not what the purpose is.

Having read the proposal several times and finally caught up with the
mailing list, I am very much in support of many of the comments made about
NomCom feedback. NomCom is not a blind weighing machine balancing the number
and magnitude of comments. It is a group of careful and thoughtful
individuals who will look at all feed-back and, where necessary ask
questions and follow up with the people giving the feedback, with others who
might have a view, and with the nominees. And all this with the requirement
of confidentiality. NomCom is well able to detect potential conflict of
interest and see through slanted feedback.

It seems to me that the more information NomCom has, the better decisions it
will make.

In the light of this, I think you should remove all constraints on providing
feedback to NomCom by any person and about any person except that it should
be "an expectation that Covered Individuals clearly declare any relationship
that might be a cause of perceived conflict of interest on each piece of
NomCom feedback they give." Then NomCom has all the information.

This is one of the questions I was going to ask, whether or not the LLC should require contractors to declare themselves as contractors in their interactions with the NomCom as they are required to in other contexts (a clause nobody has disagreed with to date).  Email of questions to come.

Jay

Thanks,
Adrian