Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-exported-authenticator-13.txt> (Exported Authenticators in TLS) to Proposed Standard

This seems like a useful facility for applications, and I know something I'd like to use it for.

Something that is not immediately clear to me, is whether a middlebox could insert or remove an Authenticator Request or an Authenticator, without authorization of the peer(s) that the middlebox is impersonating.     I could see how a middlebox that did this could be useful.  I can also see how the possibility for such a middlebox would mislead the other peer and make this facility less valuable than it would otherwise be, if any on-path middlebox could insert or delete these protocol elements.   I would like to see this question addressed in the Security Considerations section.

It concerns me that there's no explicit state change inside TLS when an authenticator is transmitted, but it might be that I misunderstand that statement.   If either the request or authenticator were protected by session authentication, to me that sounds like a state change within the implementation, but not a change to the TLS state machine.   Should this be clarified?

Keith Moore