Re: Consultation on early switch of IETF 110 to an online meeting

In article <20200918010252.GB35596@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>> >   How about going to a crowd-funding model, ietf-kickstarter or the like:
>> >   - Let attendees pay for in-person meeting upfront, e.g.: up to november 2019 for IETF111
>> >   - If sufficient number of registrations are not made, money back, IETF111 will only be online.
>> >   - If later on IETF111 has to decide to go online, some type of insurance backed money back
>> >     maybe with some loss. Likewise if/when attendee later needs to cancel.
>>
>> I don???t think that this works the way you think it does, i.e. it assumes that a payment is a commitment and a non-payment is a definitive
>non-commitment, when neither are true.
>
>Well, as the kickstarter model has shown how you can leverage payment to much more upfront
>decide on the vaiability of a type of product. Why not aply the idea to meetings.

Because the hotel arrangements for meetings that involve hundreds of
hotel rooms and meeting facilities need to be made a long time in
advance. It's not like booking a family holiday.

R's,
John