Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Sep 6 06:00:00 2020

Hello,
At 10:51 AM 06-09-2020, John C Klensin wrote:
Given a series of recent changes, I question the utility of this
measurement in the form you are making and presenting it and
wonder what others think.   What question are we trying to
answer?   Remember that, when Thomas Narten started his list, it
was rare to have a discussion list in what we now know as the
General Area other that this list, his original measurements
would be best approximated by combining the IETF list, the Last
Call list, Manycouches,  Gendispatch, Mtgvenue, and perhaps some
others.  So, to the extent that we want to provide the same
information now that the original Narten reports provided,
probably all of those lists should be aggregated or reported in
other ways.

It was not Mr Narten who started the list. Over the years, the general view was that it was a form of censorship. There measurements are not of much use except if one wants to reprimand a person off-list for sending too many messages. The easiest alternative is not to send any message to the mailing list. What if I notice a potential issue or wish to make a suggestion? The better course of action is not to say anything about it.

duplicates of postings to IETF-announce, if that were a regular
pattern, it would be reasonable to infer either that there is
nothing of interest going on in the IETF, that no one cares any
more, or that there is no discussion going on, just statements.

That is where the IETF is heading.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy