Re: IETF Slack workspace

On 8/28/20 4:52 PM, John Levine wrote:

In article <8432.1598641975@localhost> you write:
when there were significant security issues with it.  I've heard that on
Mac that there is not really a (thick) client that has reasonable support.
I have found that Beagle and Swift work on my Mac. The problem is more
the lack of places to set up one's XMPP account.

That, and you have to find a suitable client, and you have to set it up.   There are three hoops to jump through, which you're generally trying to do after the meeting starts.

If we used XMPP all the time it wouldn't be a problem, but most of us don't.

If we want our protocols to be successful, maybe we should pay more attention to making configuration easy, and user-friendly diagnostics.

While I very much support open standards, I must admit that the proprietary solutions have some competitive advantages.   Users don't have to find a client and a service provider separately and make them work together.   When there's a problem, users have one stop shopping for support (if there is support).   And it's easier to market a brand-named bundled service than it is to market an open standard.

Keith