Re: How Not To Filter Spam

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: "william(at)elan.net"
>
> > > It is also a classic example of what is wrong with the MUA filtering
> >
> > You certain dont assume that there is nothing wrong with the filtering
> > system you use and others may try duplicate as well. Otherwise how would
> > you explain that you have Elan and completewhois.com listed as filtered
> > on your site. Do you honestly believe we ever sent you any SPAM? Or maybe
> > you're making certain assumptions about envelope from or normal "From:"
> > headers and complaining when others are making the similar assumptions?
>
> Mail from Elan and completewhois.com is unwelcome at rhyolite.com in
> patt because of a message that said:
You might want to post headers that show it being sent from some open-proxy
in pacific and showing use of email accounts that were never there.

> ] Elan.Net Internet
> ] T.1 T.3 Frame Relay
> ] If you need more information about us or are interested in network services
> ] (managed hosting, collocation, dedicated servers, t1, t3), please send email to info@xxxxxxxx
> ]
> ] For More info
> ] http://www.elan.net
> ] sales@xxxxxxxx
>
> There are additional, independent, sufficient reasons for that listing
> that we do not need to explore.
Except that we did not send that message and anti-spam community was
informed it was a joe-job (95% guessed as much on their own). Considering
you knew who I'm am, I suspect you knew all this as well and if you did
not you might have notice a warning about this on the website.

> An advantage of a vanity or other tiny domain is that it can use
> blacklists that would have intolerable false positive rates at other
> or larger outfits but that have 0.000% local false positive rates.
That is unlikely considering what I know about your list.

Unless you make a good effort to research anything you probably have as
many problems as some of the most agressive ip-based filtering sites (like
spews), you might make a number of good hits but would have number of misses
as well. Besides that as has been shown many times, for spammers its a
lot easier and less expensive to get new domain that to get new ip block -
and many do and setup hundreds of new domains on monthly basis. As such
the value of domain-based filtering is very minimal indeed.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks