Re: what is consensus, or We could learn from ISO

Le lun. 24 août 2020 à 19:51, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
In article <CE300AD8-4A12-4A34-975E-CBF742A0230F@xxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>Reading this document surprised me, particularly this section:
>https://isocpp.org/std/standing-documents/sd-4-wg21-practices-and-procedures#consensus  What’s the difference between IETF
>“rough consensus” and ISO “consensus” ?  But there’s much good in the whole thing.

That definition of consensus is the one that most of the world uses.

A key part of it is that all of the participants need to respect the
process enough to be willing to "stand aside" when they disagree with
the result of the group, but believe a decision was made in good faith
for plausible reasons. Blocking objections and appeals are kept for
exceptional situations.

How does one decide when a fight is the good fight and who makes that call though?

If we are still reflecting on the initial debate on language policy, some folks felt this was worth arguing about. Who can decide if that was wrong or not?
I can't recall the group even came to a result in that case (which again I'm assuming is why there is such a debate about changing the way this works, or maybe I'm missing something)
So could this process of standing aside have worked?

--
- Sylvain Hellegouarch