we should be spending time on problems that matter

I got some mail from a friend who wondered why I +1’d lloyd’s antisomething rant.

The main thing that drove me nuts about the diversion is that it seemed beyond the ordinary run-of-the-mill string of kerfuffles. You could attribute it to the times and the pandemic but perhaps it isn’t just cynicism about our failings as humans.

My conspiracy theory is that we’re in the middle of cyberwarfare at layer 9 or 10 of the protocol stack, with billions if not trillions of investment, and that any institution that isn’t obviously FOR or AGAINST one of the factions (has a hope of staying neutral) is an attractive target. Not all of the loud participants are trolling for controversy, I’m sure many of you are sincere.  But the Security Considerations for the IETF mailing list behavior first and foremost should have something other than SaA booting as it is entirely ineffective if not counter-productive.

I would argue that piercing the veil of anonymity would help raise the cost of fielding multiple sock-puppets. The ability to not truthfully say who you are on a mailing list has been taken as some kind of freedom-rights, that I don’t understand. We have IPR rules and Note Well rituals for IPR rules.

That’s what I suspected with my bulldogged insulter – it had to be someone who knew me!

Is it really too much to ask to validate the identity by some unrelated person? Who works at a company that has an “Under Construction” web site? Or has only one contact on LinkedIn?

Now, what else SHOULD we be worried about? Any security reviews or operational needs by those people who are working on software that needs our help? (But who would come here voluntarily to IETF where we have proved we are unable to focus on important work and leave terminology and meeting fee structures and scheme registrations for after the war?)

--

https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org