Re: covert channel and noise -- was Re: proposal ...

Vernon Schryver <vjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know of many millions of spam that are filtred during the DATA command
> every day, and I don't claim to know about any really big sites.
>
> The only problems are:
>   - local administrative choices that keep bastion SMTP servers ignorant
>       of per-user filter preferences

   This is a feature, not a problem. If the end user wants a filtering
process individualized that much, s/he should choose to use a SMTP
server which agrees to do so.

>   - filtering at the DATA command requires either (1) rejecting for
>      all or no targets or (2) accepting for all targets and siliently
>      discarding the message for those targets that want it filtered.

   Alternatively, the receiving SMTP server could reject any multiply-
addressed email.

   Is it actually that unreasonable to apply the most-restrictive
filtering rules in the case of multiply-addressed email?

   (Silently discarding _is_ a bad idea, when done by the SMTP server
itself. IMHO, it's better to mark for later discard -- which actually
could be done in such a way as to mark only for those recipients who
requested the more restrictive filtering.)

> In theory the second problem could be fixed if the DATA command could
> accept a vector of 250-OK/4yz-try-later/5yz-fatal responses, one for
> each target named with a Rcpt_To command.  In practice the spam problem
> will be solved one way or another long before such a protocol change
> would be sufficiently widely deployed to matter.

   Agreed: that radical a change in SMTP wouldn't percolate through
quickly enough.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>