Re: Terminology discussion threads

Skickat från min iPhone

13 aug. 2020 kl. 22:32 skrev Richard Barnes <rlb@xxxxxx>:

RFC 3005 says plainly:

"""
   Inappropriate postings include: ... Unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject
   The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
   appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person,
   or of a thread, when the content is inappropriate
"""

Given the level of unprofessional discourse in the muted conversation, muting the entire topic seems like an entirely appropriate recourse.

I hate to point out the obvious but just because you disagree doesn’t make the other side of an argument unprofessional. That way is *dangerous* as it otherizes part of the community.

The thread in question touched on fundamental questions of language and technology and just because a lot of people (me included) found the topic unpleasant and politically inconvenient doesn’t amount to unprofessional behavior in any way.

Leif

--Richard

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 4:26 PM Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/13/2020 3:48 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> At least there seems to be sufficient +1 from distinguished community
> members such as current or past IAB, IESG members, IAB Liaison, IETF ISOC
> appointee, IRTF and NomCom chair to hope that the action taken was rightfully
> within the privilege of IETF chair according to the rules.

Mike StJohns, Past IAB, Past Nomcom Chair
Scott Bradner, Past IAB, Past Area Director
Randy Bush, Past Area Director
Charlie Perkins,  Past IAB

(sorry if I've missed other roles...)

So what's your point?

In any event, my opinion is that this action was NOT taken "rightfully
within the privilege of the IETF chair according to the rules", but I'm
withholding further judgement until the Chair responds to my request to
clarify which part of 3005 they believe applies and grants authority for
a mass PR threat.

> If this step was ultimately determined (by whom... ?) not to be within
> the privilege of IETF chair then i am bit worried about what i would
> have to think about all those +1.

I'm not sure why.  Everyone has opinions.  Some are more useful than
others, and each of us will have an opinion on that topic as well.

Later, Mike