Re: Missing Experts

On the other hand, Fred, I for one will not be worrying about the lack of designated experts for an Experimental RFC from 1993 that is clearly irrelevant in 2020. It should perhaps have been obsoleted at some point, but we often just let experiments fade away.

However, there is an answer to the implied question: What happens if there is no designated expert? It's in RFC 8126 (BCP 26):

"5.2.1.  Managing Designated Experts in the IETF

   Designated experts for registries created by the IETF are appointed
   by the IESG, normally upon recommendation by the relevant Area
   Director.  They may be appointed at the time a document creating or
   updating a namespace is approved by the IESG, or subsequently, when
   the first registration request is received."

If there is no expert and a request comes in, the IESG appoints an expert.
Since the IANA team was involved in RFC 8126 and its predecessors, I think
they know this.

Regards
    Brian