Re: Disappointing take-up of Gather.Town

In article <024001d66664$ebdc3b90$c394b2b0$@olddog.co.uk> you write:
>But where is everybody? The number of people in the application seems to
>range between 20 and 50.
>
>Is the problem that Gather.Town makes you run all sorts of scripts that
>might be a bit icky? Or are we all really just antisocial?

Gather.town seems to me to be a work in progress. The way it leaves
the camera on even if the window isn't visible is clearly a bug (even
if it was intentional.)

I think it would help to take a tip from jabber and other IM apps and
provide people a way to provide hints about whether they want people
to talk to them, and also particularly if the window isn't visible,
if someone asks to talk, a way to pop up a request to which you can say
yes or various kinds of no's.  This would make it a lot less painful to
leave it active while you're doing other stuff.

If we want to make virtual meetings more like real ones, when you
leave a meetecho session it should dump you into the virtual hallway,
not the agenda.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",