Re: Disappointing take-up of Gather.Town

--On Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:19 -0400 Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen.moriarty.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It came out of a conversation with Allison and Karen, and
> without enough coffee today I am not sure who had that
> thought, maybe Allison?  But, I agree it is a good idea.

I just learned something else about this that, in retrospect,
should be no surprise but may tell us something about ways to
think about this.

I got on it more or less to look around (stimulating my earlier
note) but, just as a was about to sign off, had Joel start a
conversation which was interesting and helpful.  But the reality
is that all of us know each other: Joel (both of them), and
Kathleen, Ben, Victor, and I have all had enough conversations
over the years (even though I don't think I've met the latter
two f2f) that, given a bit of motivation reaching out and
talking with each other is rather easy.
The interesting part, however, is that the conversation Joel and
I were having was joined by a newcomer to the IETF who didn't
know either of us or our work. Led to a very interesting
conversation and, for me, the most fun I've had this week... and
maybe some useful advice and contacts for him in finding work of
interest in the IETF.

I think the regular chat session windows are a good idea but I
also see a great deal of potential for what would amount to a
periodic equivalent to a newcomer's meet and greet session,
maybe even encouraging people to connect and start conversations
who would be too shy to approach one of us current or former AD
types in a physical hallway.

    john