Re: Disappointing take-up of Gather.Town

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 08:08:44AM -0400, Christian Hopps wrote:
> I've tried staying in there (but muted using the "busy" indicator), and looking around occasionally for folks to have a side-conversation with. Same experience as you though, not a lot of participation.
>
> It might be useful to have the ability to be notified when someone becomes active.
>
> I think having to mark oneself "busy" in order for it to mute the camera and mic when I'm not looking at that web page is a problem too. I'm not really busy, I just don't want my camera and mic recording me when I'm not looking at the gather.town page. In person I know if someone is standing in front of me when I'm working on my laptop, not so with gather.town.

I've been manually muting my microphone and camera when I am "just idling"
in gather.town in case someone tries to come find me.  I don't have enough
data to decide whether this is better or worse than using their "busy"
functionality (or even how the latter interacts with a multi-monitor,
multi-browser-window setup).

-Ben