Re: proposal for built-in spam burden & email privacy protection

On Tue February 10 2004 14:12, Dean Anderson wrote:

 > The "for pay" idea is just another scam from the people who would
 > love to get a percentage of the pay. While I'm sure Microsoft and
 > others would just love to get a cut of this (I know I would), it
 > doesn't do anything to stop spam, and if implemented, would simply
 > (and wrongly) charge users whose computers were virus infected.

Wrongly?  I'm not so sure.  Something ought to be done to stop the
Typhoid Marys of the Internet.  Putting them on notice that they WILL
be held responsible for spreading the infection, or its effects, just
MIGHT result in them FINALLY taking some responsibility for their
"computer hygiene".  Sure, there will have to be several well
publicized example cases before most folk will sit up and take notice,
but in the long run, it might be effective.

Not that it would be worth all the assorted other hassles associated
with the protocol changes, collecting and disbursing the money (with a
cut off the top for the collectors/disbursers, of course), etc.  B-(

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org