Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 26/7/20 14:30, Joseph Touch wrote:

On Jul 25, 2020, at 11:33 PM, Fernando Gont <fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Since we are at it, may I ask that the following terms be added to the "discussion":
* balkanization
* third-world countries
?

Yes - thanks. That does help. Other examples are welcome - at least to me directly off-list if not on-list.

FWIW, this is what I'd probably suggest as alternatives:

* third-world countries / thirld world -> developing countries/developing economies

* balkanization -> segmentation / uncooperative segmentation / conflictive segmentation/separation

P.S.: One of the most useful things would be for the tools employed to create documents (e.g. xml2rfc or idnits and/or spellcheck) to issue warnings for these, and probably suggest the author to tweak the text and maybe suggest some of the alternatives we are discussing here..

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont