Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 2020-07-26, at 23:49, Joseph Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Jul 26, 2020, at 2:32 PM, Jay Daley <jay@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> A question I can’t resolve by Googling - has anyone attempted to create entirely new words to represent the concepts that master or slave have been used to represent?  e.g. a word that means "authoritative source of data that has no dependency on another source" and has no other meaning?
>
> Why aren’t either primary or authoritative vs. copy/secondary/replica sufficient?

There’s also “original”.

A good way to coin words is to look into other languages (not just Latin and Greek).  E.g., in German, there is “Matrize” and “Mater” from the printing world (OK, these are Latin); “Cliché” in French (Klischee germanized) does have other meanings though.  You’ll have to ask an Indonesian whether “babon” would work…  Makes hens and eggs back in English.

Maybe calling them A and B is easier...

Grüße, Carsten