Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Dan,
I have been trying to stay out of this debate, as it is being handled quite ably by the proponents. But I simply can not ignore your assertion that words can not cause harm, and that harm to emotions ("feelings:) is not harm.

You may be able to argue that the specific terms are not causing harm, although that contradicts my understanding and extrapolation from my own experiences.

But the flat statement that "language can not be harmful" is simply false. And unacceptable. It is itself a statement ignoring other people's experience, and likely to cause harm. Stop.

Yours,
Joel