Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

+1

On Jul 24, 2020, at 5:32 AM, Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure, an occasional change in terminology is only a small step. But it's still moving us in the right direction, and costs us practically nothing

We follow grammar and punctuation rules, with exceptions.

I don’t think anyone is claiming we won’t have exceptions here or that tools will be perfect (the current tools aren’t either).

The point is to:
- highlight the concern (from a *variety* of perspectives - race, oppression, sex, gender, ethnicity, national identity, age, etc.)
- provide some other terms that are often more precise anyway
- provide / evolve tools to help identify uses to be considered more closely

Let’s be clear that this community generates a lot more position statements that are of less utility. IMO, let this one proceed.

Joe