Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 24-Jul-20 15:45, Joe Touch wrote:

>> On Jul 23, 2020, at 7:34 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> "Master" on its own is here to stay, anyway; in some contexts the proposed alternatives (like "main") simply don't work.
>
> I have no idea why you could claim one works and the other does not.
>
> Master of what?
>
> There may be better alternatives, such as canonical.

"Canonical" applies in some circumstances but not always. You can sometimes use a
complicated formulation like "Authoritative server". But if you need to convey that
the entity in question gives instructions to other entities, any word you choose
will be synonymous with "master".

> But “master” isn’t a unicorn word.

It's very common word with multiple meanings and applications.

    Brian