Re: On diversity in the NomCom

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Christian Huitema <huitema@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 13, 2020, at 6:37 AM, Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> That is an interesting point, though I am not sure of the specifics of the proposal.
>>
>> The IETF is very tribal along area lines with too little interaction between the tribes. Some consideration of areas of interest would be useful in Nomcom so that the special issues that effect the areas are better understood by those taking the decisions. Now I know they can ask, but some background context helps a lot.
>
> I don't think we are that tribal. Look at the QUIC WG happily mixing contributions from application, transport and security experts, with management also debated. I am sure there are other examples.

> -- Christian Huitema

+1

Lots of the best work we do is spread across the fuzzy boundaries between areas.

Areas have changed over the years, and I’d be reticent to see these areas institutionalized to the point that people choose “primary” affiliations. I certainly wouldn’t want to have to choose an affiliation.

The NomCom talks to the community of contributors in each area, and listens to that feedback as the way to determine who is best suited for each role.

Best,
Tommy