if we were having IETF108 in Madrid next July ...

Hi all,

Next Monday, 21st June, Spain borders will reopen, and mobility restrictions and confinement imposed by the "Alarm State",  decay.

In fact, today, several regions already anticipated to that, to avoid massive traffic jams from people moving to their secondary residences for the celebration of "Bonfires of Saint John".

Of course, there will be still some restrictions, such as compulsory use of facemask if distance among people is not possible, as it is happening in many other countries.

The opening of borders (including flights and hotels) has been agreed among most of the EU countries, and the basic idea is a kind of reciprocity (like for Visas) of Covid-19 situation among origin/destination country and capability of the health system, to tackle new cases, which for sure, will be happening (in Spain there have been a few of them in the last weeks, but really minimal impact).

(there is an exception with Portugal, which decided to keep the borders closed until July 1st)

There is not any kind of quarantinee period for travellers, so if we were having IETF108 in Madrid next July, EU participants will be able to participate, but at this point it is not clear when visitors from other countries will be able to come for tourism. However considering the meeting as a work activity, it should be possible for most of them.

Note that I'm not advocating for having the meeting! I was clear to say that there is too much uncertainity and my recommendation was to cancel it, and I still think that it is the same especially for non-EU participants, despite a meeting being considered as work. I just think this information useful.

If you still want to have some vacations this summer, take a look to the just launched Spain promotional video:
"Spain for Sure"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVhJmIwzgw

Have a nice weekend and stay healthy!

Regards,