Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-08

> Mode 6 commands (and the basic mode 7 base packet structure) are core
> components of the protocol layer of NTP, and deserve a Standards track
> document.

"Core" is an interesting word.  Mode 6 is certainly handy for monitoring ntpd
but chronyd seems to work just fine without it.

I think the key idea is that we expect many implementations of NTP to exchange
mode 3/4 packets (aka time) but there isn't any need for me to be able to
monitor the details of your servers.  As long the software package I use for
NTP provides tools to monitor my systems servers, the protocol it uses doesn't
need an RFC.

For security and privacy reasons monitoring by outside users is likely to be
administratively prohibited even if it would otherwise work.

I think there are 2 possible documents related to mode 6.  One is historical,
documenting what the code did when RFC 5905 was published, perhaps updated to
track changes since then.

The other, probably informational, would describe the outlines of a protocol
and how to update or extend things as features are added/dropped or
implementation details are changed.  Perhaps an Appendix would include details
for specific implementations.

The obvious example of a new feature is NTS.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.