Re: Specific Questions about Registration details for IETF 108

On 6/9/2020 2:23 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
We of course blew that principle off when we had a few meetings
in which where badge checks at meeting room doors and we tried
experiments about badge readers at microphones.  And, IIR, we
instituted the former with a lot less discussion and fuss than
the current changes have caused.
Badge readers always were optional (I never managed to properly operate one).

Badge checks were a one-time thing needed for a meeting in a country that made this a prerequisite for Internet access.  I think we accepted that regression as the one-time thing it was because Internet access is something very unusual in that country and we were very happy to be able to meet there.

To be clear here (and I believe this is correct) - we - the IETF - did not impose the badge checks.   AFAICT they were hired without knowledge or consent of the IETF and just appeared.   In one case, possession of the badge was not sufficient for entry - the badge checkers refused entry when the badge did not match the (local) person.

And I would argue that "we were very happy to be able to meet there" was not a universally held emotion.