Re: visa requirements (US citizens)

Visas for travel to Seoul, Korea IETF meeting.

Perhaps I can settle this.

A U.S. citizen does NOT need a visa to visit Korea for a meeting
by a non-profit group such as the Internet Engineering Task Force.
I just confirmed this with the head of the visa section in the
Korean Consulate in Washington DC.

But don't take my word for it. If anyone requests, I will be glad
to get an official letter faxed from the Korean Consulate-General.
I would carry that letter with your current U.S. passport.

More precise statement:

  - U.S. citizens traveling to Korean to attend the IETF meeting
    do not need a visa, as they are traveling to attend a
    non-profit conference.  They can stay in Korea up to 30 days
    for such purposes and for tourism.

  - If you travel to Korea for business purposes, such as meeting
    customers or other business purposes, then a visa is required.

  - There also is confusion about government employees.  U.S.
    government employees going to Korea just for tourism or a non-
    profit conference such as IETF do not need a visa because they
    are going a private citizens.  However, government employees
    going to Korea for official purposes do need an official visa.

I won't request an official letter unless someone asks me to do
so. I could post on a neutral web site or email to you.

Gene Gaines
gene.gaines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sterling, Virginia