From: ntp <ntp-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Ulrich Windl
Sent: Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:32 AM
To: resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx; last-call@xxxxxxxx
Cc: ek.ietf@xxxxxxxxx; ntp-chairs@xxxxxxxx; ntp@xxxxxxxx; draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds@xxxxxxxx; odonoghue@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-08.txt> (Control Messages Protocol for Use with Network Time Protocol Version 4) to Historic RFC

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

>>> "Pete Resnick" <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 02.06.2020 um 19:17
>>> in
Nachricht
<14808_1591124438_5ED6A1D6_14808_2895_1_45F5F313-BFC6-48BB-B5A3-D47C48AE87D6@epi
teme.net>:
> This use of the "Historic" status seems utterly bizarre to me. It's
> certainly not how it's described in 2026.
>
> 1305 has already been obsoleted by 5905. This document simply gives
> information about what those control messages were and indicates that
> they ought no longer be used. This sounds like a fine candidate for

"They ought no longer to be used": ... once there is a well-established replacement!

So what to use instead? Mode-6 commands are essential for monitoring the service.

> Informational status. When 5905 (or it's successors) advance to
> Standard, this document can be included in the STD.
>
> If eventually you want to move a document to Historic, it would be 1305.
>
> I don't think publishing this straight to Historic makes sense.

With the argument given above, I also wouldn't name it "historic".