Re: Registration details for IETF 108

Amazingly enough, I've participated in several IETF meetings, when needed for
drafts I was working on, without being charged for it, so I'm curious about
this 'discount' I'm now going to get.

Scott K

On Monday, June 1, 2020 11:07:43 AM EDT Livingood, Jason wrote:
> [...]

>     > reasonable decision by the leadership.
    >
>     >
>     >
>     > Yours,
>     > Joel
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On 5/31/2020 5:13 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>     >
>     >> On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 1:56 PM S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     >> <mailto:sm%2Bietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    >>
>     >>    Dear Internet Engineering Steering Group,
>     >>    [Reply-To override]
>     >>    At 06:12 PM 27-05-2020, IETF Executive Director wrote:
>     >>
>     >>     >This meeting will have a substantial agenda but as the cost of
>     >>     >an
>     >>     >online meeting is lower, the registration fees have been set at
>     >>     >approximately one-third of those for an in-person meeting.  A
>     >>     >detailed explanation of why we charge a fee for meetings and how
>     >>     >the
>     >>     >fee reduction was set for IETF 108 is provided in a separate
>     >>     >blog
>     >>
>     >>    post [3].
>     >>    In 2013, the IETF Chair affirmed that the Internet Engineering
>     >>    Task
>     >>    Force embraced the modern paradigm for standards.  One of the
>     >>    points
>     >>    in the document is the standards process being open to all
>     >>    interested
>     >>    and informed parties.  If I recall correctly, I raised a point a
>     >>    few
>     >>    months before 2013 about the IETF allowing free access to its
>     >>    meetings through the Internet.  I could not help noticing that
>     >>    there
>     >>    is now a required fee to access the next IETF meeting.  Was that
>     >>    approved by the IESG?
>     >>    I took a look at the meeting policy for the IETF.  I never
>     >>    understood
>     >>    why that policy is described as an ambition.  Anyway, as that
>     >>    policy
>     >>    does not specify anything about changing the existing practice
>     >>    for
>     >>    fees, it is unlikely that the decision to charge for online
>     >>    meetings
>     >>    can be challenged.
>     >>    I would like to thank the IETF LLC Directors for acknowledging
>     >>    that
>     >>    the fee presents a barrier to participation and their charitable
>     >>    offer.  I'll leave the charitable offer to those who are in need.
>     >>    It took a decade for the IETF to take this pay-to-play decision.
>     >>    Was
>     >>    there any discussion about it?
>     >>
>     >> I don't think the characterization of this as "pay-to-play" is
 are certainly free to participate in mailing lists,
>     >> github, etc.
>     >> What is being charged here is a fee to participate [0] in real-time
>     >> virtual
 meetings, just as there is one charged for attending
>     >> in-person meetings. -Ekr
>     >> [0] I emphasize "real-time" as I expect that the recordings will be
>     >> available
 after the fact as usual.