Re: [Last-Call] [Captive-portals] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-capport-api-07

Hi Linda,

Thanks for reviewing the document.

For background on how the architecture defined by the CAPPORT WG is preferable to the non-standard mechanisms in deployment today, I’d like to point you to one of the documents referenced by the API document, draft-ietf-capport-architecture (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-capport-architecture).

There are several benefits, grouping roughly as follows:

- Security: Generally, solutions today require interception of DNS and redirecting HTTP responses, and incompatibility with TLS or attempts to man-in-the-middle TLS.
- Privacy: Captive networks usually rely on intercepting “user” traffic, which means a device may try to send traffic with user-sensitive names on a network and only later realize it is captive and the results are bogus.
- Functionality: Solutions today do not have a way to communicate time remaining to devices or how to extend a session, so association is often cut off abruptly.
- Consistency and early detection: There isn’t any standard way for a client device to detect that it is captive today, and there is a large variety in the way networks implement this, leading to inconsistency in user experience and timing.

Best,
Tommy