Re: The IETF Mission

Bob Braden wrote:

>   *>
>   *> If it is important, it'll progress the work of some group in the
>   *> IETF and be archived as an RFC. If it (the I-D) doesn't capture work
>   *> well enough to be archived as an RFC then it ought to fade from IETF
>   *> I-D storage.
>
> Grenville,
>
> Not all important ideas enter the working group process and emerge
> as standards,

True, but to be fair, I actually said "...to be archived as an RFC." Although
I might appear to have succumbed to "RFC == standard" mentality, I haven't
really :)

> and the fact that some working group chooses not to
> "capture" an document does not make it necessarily unworthy of
> preservation.

Yes, that's true. I simply believe that we already have a mechanism in
our posession for WGs (who are the best judges) to archive their developed
wisdom and insights - the Informational RFC. If WGs aren't using this method
then that's a problem we can fix without creating an indestructable I-Ds.
I'd hope. (I've used Informational status for this very purpose myself a
few times, so I'm biased.)

>  After all, the technical problems evolve, and our
> solutions need to evolve too; ideas that did not make it at one
> stage may turn out to be important in the future.  And, I believe
> you are surrendering too easily the over-emphasis on standards
> that Fred decried in his message.

Hopefully you were thinking of someone else ;)

>   *>
>   *> Is the standard for Informational currently that onerous?
>
> Certainly not.  But the community (and especially its chosen
> leadership) need to believe in the importance of using Informational
> to capture important documents and ideas as RFCs.

Absolutely agree.

cheers,
gja
--