Re: dubious assumptions about IPv6 (was death of the Internet)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

> >> That's like saying residential telephone users don't need to have a
> >> phone number at which they can be reached.  (after all, the purpose of
> >> their residential phones is to call businesses for the purpose of
> >> obtaining services, right?)
> >
> > No, its not at all like saying that.  Its like saying that residential
> > phone users don't need a globally unique circuit facilities assignment
> > (CFA)  number. Indeed, most residential telephone users aren't aware of
> > that number, even though they have one.  The globably unique telephone
> > number is more comparable to the email address, or the instant message
> > id.
>
> only if you want to insist that every application that someone might
> want to run at home should require an expensive external
> infrastructure.  (there are no polite words to describe people with
> that attitude)

As Kazaa, Napster, Groove, and other protocols have demonstrated, its
quite easy to create peer-to-peer applications without either expensive
external infrastructure or fixed, unique IP addresses.  The scalability of
these protocols has threatened the Music and Movie Industries--and thats
really something.  I wouldn't have thought such a thing possible ten years
ago.

		--Dean