Re: The IETF Mission

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> Another approach here is to allow for the creation of ad-hoc WGs. That
> would provide a cleaner path for tangential documents that don't fit
> within existing charters, and would facilitate broader group review of
> independent submissions. Speaking for myself, I've written some drafts
> that I would have liked to seen progressl, but didn't fit in existing WGs,
> and the requirements for new WGs were too stringent to pursue. This latter
>  issue is also one of the reasons behind the relatively low involvement
> from the developing-world community, and exacerbates the feelings of
> powerlessness and resentment that end up costing us recovery time fighting
> off the well-meaning fools who would make this problem worse by handing
> control to organizations with even higher barriers of entry.

Maybe you have a common(?) fallacy that once a WG is established, you
start to magically a better and broader review of the drafts.

Often this is not the case.

But the core point is, I think, how can one attract the reviewers or
people in general to read and send feedback on an idea which has been
documented in an Internet-draft.  This is obviously a difficult
problem, as everybody probably thinks their work is special.

One thing which *might* make it easier, for the drafts which relate to
existing technologies, is if there were "maintenance teams" for the
core protocols, with mailing-lists one could spam one's ideas to,
hoping for feedback from the people interested in a subject.  Not sure
if that would help significantly though..