Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

On 4/28/20 11:59 AM, John R Levine wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, Michael Thomas wrote:
It also confirms that it's used for submission, not SMTP, so I remain baffled about what if any point you are trying to make.

I made no mention of what port I was referring to. It's not exactly news that SMTP-AUTH is gernerally used on the submission port, so likewise I have no idea what if any point you are trying to make.

IF a client connects to a server on port 25, that's SMTP.  EXCEPT that if the client then authorizes, it turns into submission, even though it's not on port 587.

So-called SMTP-auth has nothing to do with identifying who might be responsible for an incoming SMTP message.  It's only useful for keeping your own users in line.

Which is exactly what I said. Providers policing their users was not widely done until around the time of DKIM. I'm dubious about any cause and effect, providers started to clamp down around then after years of doing exactly nothing.

Mike