Re: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

Hi Fred -

> If I can have two separate files (a tombstone and a subsequent new file
> version) that have the same name, as described in the recent announcement,
> I am going to have to figure out a trigger that will tell me that I need to
> re-download the file.

Incrementing the number also screws up a common operation for authors: is
the internet-draft that I'm citing the current one?  With the new algorithm,
a search for a +1 version will yield a hit and I have to go look in that
file.

> the context of the above. If the "tombstone" is literally as described, it
> would be far more space/search/etc efficient for us to have the tombstone
> consist of an added text line in a file indicating that the named draft
> expired on a certain date, and keep separate files for the active internet
> drafts. It seems to me that this makes it simpler to maintain a mirror and
> to find temporary documents.

A tombstone jail containing that information would be preferable in my
view to mixing them all together.

Regards,

Carl