RE: Death of the Internet - details at 11

> Hayriye Altunbasak wrote:
> Should not you first investigate the reason why
> IPv6 is not successful in terms of deployment
> (yet)? So that, we won't make the same mistakes
> if the world decides to sth else....

These reasons are well-known and two-fold:

1. It's an investment without any foreseeable ROI:
- Scarcity of IPv4 addresses? Not any time soon and certainly not soon
enough to justify any investment within the next n years.
- Ease of renumbering? A myth.
- Auto-configuration? Not fundamentally a breakthrough over DHCP.
In other words: what is IPv6 going to buy me or my business in the next
n years? Nothing I don't already have with IPv4; why should I invest in
it (especially given the tight finances these days) ?

2. It does not even provide what IPv4 does:
- No multihoming.
- No PA addresses.
- Ni private addresses.

Michel.