Re: Hashing spam

> From: "escom" <escom@xxxxxxxx>

> I work on an approach to block spam with a database of hash (md5) string of
> spam email:
> 1) Reporting a "verified" spam to the database server on the web
> 2) the mail client check incoming mail, generate a hash string send to and
> verify the presence on the server, is yes block email.
> 3) download a hot list to block directly on the machine
>
> i don't know if it's a good or bad idea.

The several existing implementations of something like that idea suggest
that some people think it is a reasonable idea.  I think it is useful
but has limitations.
See http://www.google.com/search?q=vipul+razor and http://cloudmark.com
for one (set of?) implementation(s).
See http://www.dcc-servers.net/ for another.  The DCC is often used
with SpanAssassin.  Refusing mail that has been seen anywhere else
(i.e. with non-zero DCC target counts) seems like a perfect fit for a
mailing list, but I'm probably biased and so won't suggest that.

I vote "no" if someone is taking a vote about trashing the Subject
headers.  Access to this mailing list should be more, not less difficult.
Anyone who cannot figure out how to sort mail from this list based on
its existing headers and rewrite Subject headers or anything else to
taste is not really interested in the nominal purpose of the list.

If it were practical, it would be good to require subscribers or at
least contributors to prove their interest by showing they can fetch,
compile, install, configure, and operate a simple TCP application such
as an SMTP server.  Anyone who lacks sufficient interest to do (or
already have done) something like that is unlikely to have anything
interesting to say to this list, except to other go-ers.  Such a test
might reduce the number of people who are interested only in non-technical
issues such as the administrative work of the IETF, the nasty evil
power grabbing U.N., ICANN, or legacy internet engineers widening the
digital divide, or whatever else concerns the people who are prompting
the continued statements of the painfully obvious.  (For some reason
perhaps related to procmail, I'm not seeing the questions that prompt
the obvious answers.  It would be swell if those offering the answers
would desist.)

Anyone who cannot find a usable POP3 or SMTP server with which to
subscribe to this list would certainly be better served and better
serve the rest of us by using the web pages of its archive.
See http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/maillist.html

Vernon Schryver    vjs@xxxxxxxxxxxx