Re: Tag, You're It!

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

At 9:55 AM -0500 12/17/03, John Stracke wrote:

Modifying the Subject: line is a Bad Thing; it invalidates digital signatures.

Which digital signatures are you talking about? Neither S/MIME nor OpenPGP sign the headers in messages, only the bodies.

S/MIME can sign the Subject: header (see RFC-1848, section 6.3), and probably should, since some people write messages where the subject is part of the meaning--change the subject and you change the meaning of the message.

(As an extreme case: at this company, people sometimes send messages with no body at all. It's so common that they have a convention for it: they put "(eom)" in the subject line, for "end of message".)

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke@xxxxxxxxxxx                   |