RE: PKIs and trust

Having worked in the "PKI" field for a loooonnnnggg time now, there are a
couple of points I'd like to make:

	- any system which relies on one entity to be globally "trusted" by
everybody for everything (or alternatively, one entity to be authoritative
for everything) is doomed to failure.

	- unfortunately, many people when hearing the phrase "public key
infrastructure" thinks that that is what is meant/required, even though most
of us working in the field know that it's not required.

Keith Moore had an outstanding list a number of transactions ago:

I trust my boss to make statements about my job.
I trust my landlord to make statements about the house I rent from him.
I trust my mother and my siblings to make statements about my immediate
family.
I trust my mother and my siblings to make statements about the
identities of other family members.
I trust the State of Tennessee to make statements about the identities
of state agencies.
I trust state agencies to make statements about which they have
authority: (e.g. automobile licensing) but not to make statements about
things that are outside of their purview.
I trust the United States government to make statements about the
identifies of US government agencies.
I trust US government agencies to make statements about which the
agency has authority: (e.g. aircraft licensing, federal income tax) but
not to make statements about things which are outside of their purview.
I trust my employer to make assertions about the identities of its
officers and/or other employees, for the purpose of establishing
identity for work-related communications, but not for other purposes.

The word "trust" seems to be a hot button for a lot of people.  Put it
another way: Keith "trusts" those entities for those purposes because those
entities are AUTHORITATIVE for those purposes.

- The boss is AUTHORITATIVE for your job.  That's the way "employment"
works - within limits, what the boss says you do, applies to you and you do
it.
- The landlord is AUTHORITATIVE for the property you rent.  She owns it.
- Your mother and siblings are AUTHORITATIVE for the family members.
... and so on.

And this is as it should be.  Suppose you have a state agency called the
Motor Vehicle Administration or Department of Motor Vehicles or...  Their
job, by charter is to (a) determine what qualifications should be in order
to operate a motor vehicle on public roads; (b) determine that an individual
applicant meets those requirements and thus is allowed to operate certain
types of motor vehicles on public roads; (c) determine the "safety
standards" for a vehicle to be operated by anyone on public roads.  Now, do
you really want that same agency to issue credentials for, e.g., university
students, or issue you a credit card with a spending limit of X; or...?  Why
should they - it's not their job, and it's not their area of expertise.

Keith's list of "trusts" above is a reflection of the real world, and the
real world is that way for a whole series of good reasons.  It's not
perfect, but it works pretty well.  The problem with "PKI" is that many
people don't want it to reflect/represent the real world; they want it to
reflect some imaginary nirvana where everything is efficient and nothing
ever slips through the cracks because two organizations use different
identifiers. "PKI" is not the way to solve that; it never has been and it
never will be.

As Paul Hoffman notes, from a technical standpoint PKI (with some adjuncts
that enforce privilege management/authorization as well as
identification/authentication) can represent pretty much everything you
want, now.  It can do so using PKIX, using SPKI, or using XKMS, with varying
levels of difficulty/complexity.  The problem is in agreeing on what exactly
it is you want to do, and why you want to do it.

(From personal experience, my belief is that the single biggest failure of
PKI is the over-hyping and under-delivering of the technology.  People were
led to believe that once they had a PKI, their problems were solved.  That's
not the case. I used to hate working with people who had bought a PKI from
somebody, not understanding that all they really needed then were the
applications that let used the PKI/certificate stuff to do business they way
they wanted to do it.  The only thing worse was when I worked for a PKI
company, and had to work with a customer to whom our sales-critters had just
made a sale.  To start a conversation with "Joe didn't tell you you still
need..." wasn't fun.)

				Al Arsenault
				Senior Security Engineer
				BBN Technologies