Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

At 11:21 AM +1200 12/09/2003, Franck Martin wrote:
>Just some perspectives on the IPv6 addressing scheme, that I have highlighted to APNIC.
>
>A country like Tuvalu with about 10,000 people, which is an island with many possibility of connectivity to the Internet would be attributed what range if they request IPv6?

The key question I would ask is whether Tuvalu is planning to provide services to
its 10,000 people.  If it plans a state monopoly ISP with eventual service to
some fraction (possible 100%) of its citizens, then it is a service provider
with that base.

If, on the other hand, it is not planning to provide services itself, but will allow
competition among service providers so that some folk get IP connectivity
through Vendor A and some through Vendor B, then it is appropriate to say
those folks getting service from A have space allocated from Vendor and
those from Vendor B from Vendor B.

>Don't tell me they do not need IPv6 or they can get it from their upstream provider. It is a country, they should be able to change their upstream provider every 6 months without having to change the IP space of the country...

Their being a country isn't nearly so important as whether or not they are a network.
Provider independent address space for a network can make sense (whether justified
through multi-homing, sovereignty, or correct form-filling skills).  Provider independent
address space for something that is not a network is just bits.

>BTW: I know about 10 countries in this case in the Pacific Islands, unfortunately few are APNIC members or attend APNIC.
>
>Cheers

			regards,
				Ted Hardie