Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:17:00 GMT, Zefram <zefram@xxxxxxxx>  said:

> Just wondering, as I have about IPv4 anycast allocations: why can't we
> designate a block for microallocations, within which prefix length filters
> aren't applied?  The number of routes in the DFZ is the same either way;
> is there any technical reason why /64 or /128 prefixes, or /32 in IPv4,
> can't be used?  I'm not a routing person, so apologies if this is somehow
> unspeakably dumb.

No technical reason - except if you say "I'll filter IPv4 announcements at
/28", then you're open to routing table burps if somebody accidentally
or intentionally de-aggregates to a very long prefix.  Imagine if somebody
flubs and withdraws a /12 and announces a /12 worth of /28.... (Yes,
this sort of stuff DOES happen.)