Re: Re[3]: national security

At 00:04 07/12/03, vinton g. cerf wrote:
I don't know what jefsey means by "IP zones"

I am not from the Cyclades school. May be you know Jean-Louis Grange who now chairs Eurolinc. He worked with Louis when I first met them in 1978. Their zone vision is for them to detail.

Louis and I met in 1973 and his datagram ideas, sliding window ideas for flow control, influenced my thinking about TCP. Gerard LeLann, who worked in Louis Pouzin's group at IRIA came to Stanford in 1974 to work on the TCP and Internet. IEN 48 refers to "catenet" - a term invented by Louis. So Louis deserves recognition especially for his work on datagram networks.

That concept permits to unlink the ISP and the host. Obviously to fully benefit from that the IP address must concatenate the ISP global address with the host global address. Which is were we disagree. But you should agree that unless IPv6 is first implemented with two different numbering plans, we will never know if it (and each installed IPv6 system) supports multiple numbering plans, creating ourselves a Y2K syndrom. So why not to work on both, in parallel, since anyway national security will call for it?

I can't speak to the email matter, not having any personal knowledge beyond the work of Ray Tomlinson at BBN in 1971 and Douglas Englebart at SRI in the mid/late 1960s.

Douglas Englebart joined Tymshare in 81/82?. It was our attempt to support his ideas through the international public network (the "Augment" line of products) that started our modelization of what we called open network extended services (ONES) ("smart hosts, smart users, smart nets") the model and user network architecture I keep working on, and refering to, ever since.
jfc