Re: national security

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 09:00, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

>> > The post KP&Quest updates are a good example of what Govs do not
>> want
>> > anymore.
>> I can't make this sentence out. Do you mean the diminish of KPNQwest?
>> In that case, please explain. And before you do: I probably know more
>> about KPNQwest than anyone else on this list with a handful of
>> exceptions that where all my colleagues doing the IP Engineering part
>> with me. Please go on...
>
> I am refering ("post" KPNQuest) to the reference management lesson
> ICANN gave concerning root management when the 66 ccTLD secondaries
> supported by KPNQuest were to be updated. NO one will forget at many
> ccTLDs, and Govs.

I was there when KPNQwest went down. I think I have concluded that what
you are referring to was a machine called ns.eu.net. That machine has a
history that goes back to the beginning of the Internet in Europe.
Through mergers and acquisitions it ended up on the KPNQWest network.
It was secondary for a large number of domains, including ccTLDs. When
KPNQwest down, the zone content and address block was transfered to
RIPE NCC. As far as I can tell it is still there. TLDs where asked to
move away from the machine over time.

As a matter of fact, several studies the year before KPNQwest went
down, pointed out the problem with having all the worlds TLDs using
just a few machines as slave servers. However, the DNS is designed to
work fine even with one slave not reachable. So even if ns.eu.net would
have gone off-line abruptly, which it never did, people got, and
apparently still have, plenty of time to move. I think this incident
clearly shows the robustness of the current system, more than anything
else.
There are now organisations installing root servers in all countries that want one. If you are operating a ccTLD, you may want have sitting next to your machines a root server, so if the national Internet link goes down (something major but not impossible when many countries have only one link to the Internet) the system still works for all the national domain names...

This is a not a very well known fact, and I stumbled upon it recently after wanting to complain that root servers where only in developed countries.

Oh, btw to install a root server, any PC will do, it is not something difficult as it carries only a couple of hundred records (200 countries and a few gTLDs), not the millions of a .com.

Cheers
----
Franck Martin
franck@xxxxxxxxx
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard