Re: arguments against NAT? - what breaks

Doug Royer wrote:

Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

NAT has obvious disadvantages. ...

... Chat and instant messaging services will fail, and there is no
way to get them to work with NAT.

So far I have not been able to get chat or instant messages services to fail because
of NAT. (Not that I am saying that NAT is valuable or a problem)

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that some NAT implementations break chat and IM?

Some NAT implementations break (your favorite protocol here). The problem isn't whether a particular NAT breaks a particular protocol; the larger problem is what to do when you have a protocol you need and you're behind a NAT you can't control.

Streaming services may fail as well.

Agreed.

Joe